Thursday 18 March 2010

Newcastle United - September 2010

Hi and welcome back to my Newcastle United blog. After a decent start to the season in the Premiership it was time for us to push on in the league and get as many wins as possible. First up in September was a game against the Wolverhampton Wanderers.

v Wolves (a) Barclays Premiership

The first game of Semtember was here and we had a trip to Molineux to face a Wolves side who were currnetly 11th in the league. We took the lead in the 24th minute when a quick one two between Jonas and Macheda led to the ball falling into the path of Jonas and he slid the ball under the keepers body and we were ahead. Wolves managed to equalise just before half time when the giant centre forward Steven Malerhofer enevitably won a header and it nestled into Consigli's goal. Wolves then took the lead in the 70th minute when Milijas slotted the ball past Consigli after some good build up play from Wolves. I was getting more and more annoyed that a equaliser wasn't coming until when Macheda was just about to pull the trigger he was brought down by Richard Stearman and we had a brilliant chance of grapping a point in the dying minutes of the game. Ryan Taylor stepped up and smashed the ball into the back of the net to the delight of the away support. Next up was what would be the hardest game of the season so far at home to the defending champions Manchester United.
















v Manchester Utd (h) Barclays Premiership

On a hot Saturday lunchtime kick-off my Newcastle team was about to play their toughest game of the season and I game that I felt really nervous about. My nerves got worse when after 12 minutes Danny Simpson was sent off for an elbow on Antonio Valencia we had to survive against one of the best teams in the league with 10 men for nearly 80 minutes. I reshuffled the team and put Ryan Taylor on at right back and took off Andy Carroll. Manchester were pressing for a goal but a inspired performance from my defence especially Andrea Consigli and at the half-time whistle the game remained goalless. At half time I went into a counter attacking mode and left Okaka upfront by himself. When the second half started it was Manchester Utd who looked like the team who had 10 men and we were keeping the ball really well. We just needed a bit of service to Okaka and we could grap 3 points here. Much to my suprise we had managed to keep Manchester Utd at bay and the final whistle blew and we got a brilliant point. I was delighted with the work rate of my team and was proud of each and everyone of them. My MOM went to Consigli for keeping us in the game so well in the first half with some outstanding saves. Next up was Blackpool in the League Cup.















v Blackpool (a) League Cup 3rd round

I had a widweek League Cup game against to contend with and I decided to field a weakened side for this game and I never really looked like slipping up. We took the lead in the 14 minute when a long cross filed ball from Davi was controlled by Caroll and he slid the ball into the back of the net. Blackpool did equilise in the 66 minute when Rob Edwards chipped the ball brilliantly over Tim Krul but (this was Blackpool first major chance). We won the game in the 86th minute when a low Lovenkrands cross was missed by all of the onrushing players apart from Wayne Routledge who sidefooted the ball into an empty net. For the third time running I faced Liverpool in a domestic cup trophy. Was I finally going to knock Liverpool out or would they make it three in a row. Next up was Arsenal at home.
















v Arsenal (h) Barclays Premiership

The final game of the month was a tricky game against the team who finished 3rd last season. Much to my delight we took the lead when a counter attack made its way to Macheda and he skipped ppast o Arsenal defenders before rounding the keeper and slotting the ball into the back of the net. The Newcastle fans were estatic but I knew that their was still about 80 minutes left of the game and it would take a brilliant performance to beat Arsenal.  It was not until after half time when Arsenal levelled the scoring when after some typical one touch football by Arsenal was finished off by Samir Nasri I knew that we were going to have to play out of our skins to keep a point. They finally got their winner in four minutes later when Robin Van Persie showed my defence why you never give him any time or space and he punished us. I was pretty pleased despite the result as it challanged Arsenal and it certanly give them a it of a fright.















September Results





Not the best month I could of had but I was playing well and if I could just match the performances with some wins then I shuld be fine.


September League Table
















I was slightly dissapointed with my position so far but I knew that my team was going to get better and we would be soon climbing up that league. I had four league games next month and I was looking for 7 points from then 4 game as I was playing teams in and around were I am targeted to finish.


Thanks for reading a new post will be here soon
Warren



2 comments:

  1. Hi Warren spirited draw against Man Utd,it shows the determination and motivation within your players. Unlucky loss against Arsenal, probably they are just too strong for you at the moment. Things are still going well. Keep on going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks I am pretty please with the way things are going but like anyone I want to be doing better.

    ReplyDelete